September – How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything
The theme this month is on organization and habits based on the powerful premise that how you do anything is how you do everything. When you own a company, staying organized so you can focus on high impact items to grow your business and lead your team is vital and you can’t do that when you are bogged down in minutia.
How often have you walked into the office and before you know it you’ve worked 8 hours on everyone else’s agenda answering questions, attending meaningless meetings and solving problems? It happens to the best of us. I have a solution and your challenge this week is to try it out at least 2x this week. It is called the 90 minute challenge.
Here’s how it works:
- Before you leave the office or settle down for the evening, pick an important project that you have been wanting to dig into. It’s important but because it’s not urgent like so many of the other things you are working on it hasn’t gotten your undivided attention yet.
- Make an appointment on your schedule for the first 90 minutes of your day the following day. It will be the first thing you do before anything else – no looking at emails, no phone calls, no attending any meetings, etc until you spend 90 minutes on this topic.
- Get up, grab your coffee, set your timer and go to work for 90 minutes – no more, no less. No pressure, no interruptions, just 90 minutes of focused time working on whatever project or challenge you picked.
- When the 90 minutes is up, stop and get on with the rest of your day.
- Then do it again one more time this week. Maybe it’s a different project because the 90 minutes you spent on the first project was enough to complete it or maybe you need another session.
The point is, dedicate 90 minutes of uninterrupted, focused time twice a week on high impact items that will propel your business forward. Ideally, you will start every day like this but for this week, your challenge is to do it at least twice this week.
To Your Success,
The Rector Group